S pecial Olympics Uganda (SOU) is registered in Uganda as a company limited by guarantee, operating under the name Special Sports Limited Uganda. We are the local chapter of Special Olympics International (SOI) whose goal is to help persons with intellectual disabilities participate as productive and respected members of society at large, by offering them a fair opportunity to develop and demonstrate their skills and talents through sports training and competition, and by increasing the public’s awareness of their capabilities and needs. SOU is the international governing body of the Special Olympics Movement, a program founded by Eunice Kennedy Shriver, SOI’s own founder. SOU is a not-for-profit corporation, with its principal office in Washington, D.C., USA.
T o implement an accredited Program of sports training and competition, that is licensed and authorized by Special Olympics International (SOI)
- Recruitment of athletes, coaches, volunteers and family members.
- Training of athletes, coaches, volunteers and family members.
- Organizing sports events / competitions and participation of the athlete.
- Community development, networks and family support.
- Health screening, support and treatment for athletes.
- Capacity development for stakeholders.
- Promoting equity and reducing stigma through unified sports.
- Awareness campaigns and marketing.
- Day to day activities are implemented by the SOU Secretariat that currently comprises only 3 staff members: the National Director, an Administrator and the Sports Director.
- The SOU Secretariat is guided by a Board of Directors comprising eight members with a varied set of skills and experience including: legal, development, public health, technical sports, and experience with PWID.
- The SOU membership is nationwide comprising over 5,800 athletes as of December 2012.
- The organization has a national pool of volunteers, numbering approximately 500 as of December 2012.
- SOU has a network of over 200 SOI-accredited coaches in the 20 sub-programs that are located in all regions of the country as of December 2012.